This is very similar to my previous post except I’m starting from a raw Ubuntu 14.04 server install.
- Download and install Ubuntu 14.04 Server and don’t install any additional packages (you can and they’ll probably work but I didn’t and this tutorial assumes you didn’t).
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
- Add a development branch for Nginx 1.7:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:nginx/development sudo apt-get update
- Run an install scenario so you can see the about to be install version number. If you don’t get 1.7.x (1.7.1 for me as of right now), something is wrong
sudo apt-get -s install nginx
- Install Nginx
sudo apt-get install nginx
- Confirm that Nginx was installed and the expected version:
- -Install HHVM:
wget -O - http://dl.hhvm.com/conf/hhvm.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add - echo deb http://dl.hhvm.com/ubuntu trusty main | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hhvm.list sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install hhvm
- Confirm that HHVM was install and the expected version:
- Configure HHVM to run in Nginx:
And before I forget, install an SMTP server, too! Postfix is common but some people say exim is better. I’m not doing anything special and don’t really care one way or another but I picked exim.
sudo apt-get install exim4 sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
- Most of the questions asked should be fine with the defaults but for usage you probably want to change it to Internet instead of local